We advise participants to be most vigilant about safety concerns during the arrival and the departure parts of their trip. We want you to concentrate on making sure all their valuables are safe while you deal with moving from one place to the other.
To accommodate Cachamsi participants, we offer private, comfortable transportation by experienced drivers from Quito/Guayaquil to Riobamba on arrival and departure. After you have lived in Ecuador for a while, you may find that cabbies charge anywhere from $60-$130 for a trip from Quito to Riobamba depending on the type of car/cab, if they stop at touristy destinations along the way, are contracted with a tour agency, etc. Many of these are fine alternatives, but for our private transportation, we have established ties with safe drivers who operate safe vehicles. It is very common for cabbies to speed and pass on curves (which is especially dangerous on the thin Andean roads), but we have given strict instructions to our drivers not to do this, and to drive safely above all else - and we tell our students to report to Dr. Duchicela if they feel the driver was going too fast or taking unsafe turns. The program will provide round trip private transportation when traveling from Riobamba to the communities of Cacha.
The old Quito airport, located around 8km from Quito's center, is no longer in use (as of approximately February 20, 2013). A new, large international airport opened 20-25 km northeast of Quito in Feb 2013. The travel time from the new airport to Quito is approx 90 min (depends on the traffic and the cost of the taxi will be at least 30 dollars).
We recommend you to look for a hotel nearby the airport: (Some past participant have chosen a hotel less expensive downtown Quito but the taxi will cost at least 30 dollars to get there. For that reason we recommend you not to stay downtown Quito.)
In order contain our transportation costs and bring most efficient and pleasurable travel from Quito to Riobamba we have established regular weekly frequencies from Quito to Riobamba as follows:
- Pick up every Sunday beginning at 9:00 am at any of the fine Tababela hotels, near Quito International Airport.
- Book your trip so as to arrive Saturday day or evening and reserve your stay at any of the Quito airports see recommended and participant reviewed hotels.
- Stay overnight at that hotel on that Saturday.
- You will arrive Riobamba during daylight , giving you time to visit with our coordinator Pablo Martínez, and your host family.
- Orientation, classes and rotations on Monday!
At the end of the program, the participants leave late Friday morning for Quito. Our driver will take them to the hotel of their choice. Usually the participants will depart back to the US that Saturday or Sunday.
JORGE AMANTA B
- 12 years of experience with Cachamsi
- Professional Licence type ¨E¨
- Cell: +593 998246735
JORGE luis AMANTA
- Professional Licence type "E"
- More than 7 years with Cachamsi
- Cell: +593 992984225
Buses are also available from Quito/Guayaquil to Riobamba and cost anywhere from $4-$10. However, they can sometimes get pretty crowded, and traveling with lots of luggage on a bus can be a pain. They are better suited for a weekend trip to the beach, when you only have a small suitcase or backpack. Please note that in the past, students have lost/had stolen their backpacks, cameras, and passports on buses.
Other points in regards to travel:
- We do not not advise long bus rides or trips at night.
- If possible, arrive at the international airport in Quito. The trip from Quito to Riobamba is quicker than it is from Guayaquil, and the road is in better condition.
- If flying into Guayaquil, past participants have found it more comfortable to spend a night in Guayaquil before taking off for Riobamba, simply because the bus ride can be up to 5 hours.