The Department of State renewed its Travel Advisory for Ecuador on April 19, 2018.
The full text of the new Travel Advisory follows:
Exercise normal precautions in Ecuador. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.
Do not travel to:
· Esmeraldas, Carchi, and Sucumbíos provinces due to crime.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
We are a non-profit international Medical Spanish immersion program located in the Andean highlands of Ecuador.
We cater to medical students, resident doctors, and other practitioners (for example, independent physicians, nurses, health care workers and providers). Cachamsi is one of the few international medicine rotations that offers structured Medical Spanish classes as well as volunteer opportunities among a unique indigenous population. Participants will gain an appreciation of cross-cultural medicine, and enjoy a vibrant and stimulating experience in Ecuador.
WHAT MAKES OUR PROGRAM DIFFERENT?
- Over 14 years of experience.
- Flexible dates and housing options
- Over 950 participants from over 60 medical and academic institutions. (List of Universities that have participated with us HERE)
- Partner Universities
- Boston University
- Stanford University
- Mary Duke Biddle Scholar Programs
WHO WE ARE
We are a nonprofit organization, meaning that all proceeds obtained through fees are reinvested within the organization for social programs, medical equipment, curriculum improvements, and salaries for the educators and employees. Directors of Cachamsi are not salaried, rather they work on a volunteer basis.
Our close relationship with Cacha affords participants the opportunity to have ready access to schools, daycares, and health clinics for various health and community projects of their choosing over the course of two decades. The people of Cacha are usually very welcoming, and are eager to have visitors in their community. However, we believe that the relationship between Cachamsi and the communities of Cacha should always be one of mutual benefit. For that reason, a portion of program fees are always used for community projects that promote health and education.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE
We receive students of differing levels, we prefer that our participants have taken high school Spanish or a college level course. However, we have had participants with very low level and high level of Spanish. Some students brush up on basic Spanish textbooks or free online tools, before coming to Ecuador
Medical Residents MD/DO
Nursing, Nurse Practitioners, MPH.
Senior level Pre-Med Students *
Native speakers of Spanish **
* Although Cachamsi´s focus is on medical students and medical residents, we do take dedicated, motivated, mature and high potential premed students. These students have strong academics, strong recommendations and have a expressed a persuasive mission statement which includes the desire to improve communication interactions with Latino and Spanish speaking patients in the United States.
* * Even native Spanish speakers would benefit from the interactive medical Spanish experience. Our classes are focused on the clinical lay dialogue that a patient uses and a physician, nurse, PA, or other health provider uses.